Pharmacy Technicians work assisting licensed pharmacist and play an important role in the way pharmacies serve patients with medication needs. To work as a pharmacy technician in Florida, you must pass a State of Florida Board of Pharmacy approved training program like the one offered by Florida Education Institute. Upon graduation, our school will register you with the Florida Board of Pharmacy so you can then be eligible to work as a Pharmacy Technician.
What do Pharmacy Technicians do?
Pharmacy Technicians perform duties under the direction of a licensed pharmacist and they help pharmacies and pharmaceutical organizations in dispensing medications and other healthcare products that cure illnesses, ease pain, and prolong lives. Pharmacy Technicians typically do the following:
• Collect information needed to fill a prescription
• Measure amounts of medication for prescriptions
• Dispensing medication
• Compound or mix some medications
• Organize inventory
• Process insurance claims
• Use pharmacy software programs
• Provide information to customers and health professionals
• Abide by ethical standards
• Package and label prescriptions
• Accept payment for prescriptions
• Enter customer or patient information into a computer system.
Is this career for you?
Do you see yourself in a meaningful profession making a difference in people’s health?If so, consider becoming a Pharmacy Technician. Can be a rewarding career that provides valuable medication and health care services to patients.
Successful Pharmacy Technician students can be described as:
• Attention to detail
• Service oriented (People Person)
• Active listeners
• Dedicated to caring for others
Some of the coursework in our program covers:
• Pharmacy Practice
• Medical Terminology
• Pharmaceutical Calculations
• Drug Classifications
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of pharmacy technicians is projected to grow 9% from 2014 to 2024, faster than the average for all occupations. Increased demand for prescription medications will lead to more demand for pharmaceutical services.
Graduates of our Pharmacy Technician program may qualified for careers with the following employers:
- Pharmacies (private and national drugstores)
- Nursing care facilities
- Healthcare organizations
- Mail order pharmacies
- Drug manufactures