The Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning and Refrigeration (HVAC/R) program at Florida Education Institute is lab-based with almost every class meeting having a hands-on (learning-by-doing) approach where students train and work on actual air conditioning and refrigeration equipment. This lab allows students to gain experience in equipment installation, maintaining air conditioning units, troubleshooting equipment failures and refrigeration systems.
Commercial and Residential
Our AC school in Miami covers both commercial and residential technician skills in order to expand the marketability of graduates with real-world career opportunities.
What do HVAC/R Technicians do?
Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning, and Refrigeration (HVAC/R) technicians provide valuable services so people can live in comfortable climate conditions indoor. In addition, many restaurants and food service industry businesses need refrigeration services. HVAC/R technicians typically do the following:
- Install, maintain, and repair heating, cooling, and refrigeration systems
- Repair or replace defective air conditioning and refrigeration equipment
- Repair and replace equipment’s components and wiring
- Use blueprints or design specifications to install or repair HVAC/R systems
- Connect systems to fuel and water supply lines, air ducts, and other components
- Install electrical wiring and controls and test for their proper operation
- Inspect and maintain customers’ HVAC/R systems
- Test individual components to determine necessary repairs
- Repair or replace worn or defective parts
- Determine HVAC/R systems’ energy use and make recommendations to improve their efficiency
Is this Career for You?
So are you looking for a career that requires working with your hands and mostly outdoors? A career that provides people with a valuable service that has self-employment opportunities? With our hot, tropical climate and the robust number of businesses in the South Florida area, our HVAC/R air conditioning and refrigeration program just may be the right career for you.
Successful HVAC/R students can be described as:
- Mechanically inclined
- Customer and service oriented
- Good working with hands/physical
- Diagnostic with good technical skills
- Liking to work outdoors
Some of the coursework in our program covers:
- Air Conditioning Systems
- Troubleshooting, Maintenance, and Service Calls
- Refrigeration Systems and Components
- HVACR Electrical Systems
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of heating, air conditioning, and refrigeration mechanics and installers is projected to grow 14% from 2014 to 2024, much faster than the average for all occupations. Candidates familiar with computers and electronics and those with good troubleshooting skills will have the best job opportunities as employers continue to have difficulty finding qualified technicians to install, maintain, and repair complex new systems.
Graduates of our Air Conditioning and Refrigeration (HVAC/R) program may qualify for careers with the following employers:
- Air conditioning companies
- Refrigeration companies
- Repair and maintenance companies
- Selling and installation companies
- Major companies with maintenance departments (i.e., Hotels, Hospitals)
- Self-Employment, Business Owner (for experienced technicians)
Finding Employment Opportunities After Graduation
After graduation our Placement Staff can assist you (at no cost) in finding employment opportunities. This is the one service our school offer that every graduate should really take advantage of in order to assure that their education pays off right away. We strongly encourage every graduate to actively work and communicate with Career Services. The Placement Staff works out of our Career Services Office and they are a great resource to have on your side. Here are just some of the things we do:
- After graduation, we first sit down and plan your success.
- Together we will know which employers to target.
- We will focus on following a smart job search plan.
- Our Career Services Placement Staff can provide effective job search techniques.
- We constantly are developing relationships with employers for the benefit of graduates.